Saint Aloüarn

saint-alouarn

This caractère room of 20m2, with it's natural and soft tones, wood ceiling and exposed beam, is composed with an independant bathroom with one vask, a bathtub, towel dryer and hair dryer. It is equiped with a king size bed of 160.

Click here for a virtual tour of this room

A piece of history

In 1772, Louis de Saint-Aloüarn was the commander of “Gros Ventre”, the second boat of the Kerguelen de Trémarec expedition on Fortune. Expedition, authorized by Louis XV, which aimed to discover the fifth continent.

In February 1772, "La Fortune" and "The Gros-Ventre" are in the South Indian Ocean, when the 12th, Yves de Kerguelen on "La Fortune" sees the islands that will bear his name, the Kerguelen Islands. He thinks he has reached the Southern continent, and gives this land the name of Southern France without being able to disembark because of bad weather.

After consultation with Louis de Saint-Aloüarn second of the expedition and commander of "Le Gros-Ventre", Kerguelen sends him the Ensign of Rosily-Mesros (future Admiral and Earl of Empire) with the big boat of "La Fortune", to attempt a landing. Two days later, with great difficulty, the Ensign of Boisgnehennec, second of "Le Gros-Ventre" landed with Rosily-Mesros and took possession of the territory in the name of King Louis XV.

A storm then separating the two ships, Kerguelen returned to France, without waiting for Saint-Aloüarn and "Le Gros-Ventre" ... nor Rosily-Mesros.

Meanwhile "The Big-Belly" continued the exploration campaign more seriously, only returning to the island of France on September 5, 1772, after exploring Timor and Australian coasts, Rosily-Mesros doing very good surveys. river. Alas Louis de Saint-Aloüarn will die soon after his arrival.

On January 16, 1998, a Franco-Australian expedition had just discovered a bottle buried in the sand of the desert coast of Dirk Hartog Island, on the North-West of the mainland island, the proofs of the taking possession of the Australia in the name of King Louis XV of France, March 30, 1772, by a Breton naval officer, Louis de Saint-Aloüarn.